Israel’s Capital – level 2
On December 6th, Trump recognised Jerusalem as Israel’s capital. Then he instructed his government to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to the Holy City.
Some people are angry at Trump. They say that this can hurt the peace process in the region. People protested at the Damascus Gate, a famous sight in Jerusalem. Israeli police were there to subdue the angry protesters.
Difficult words: recognise (formally say that something is true), instruct (tell to do something), Holy City (many people call Jerusalem the ‘Holy City’ as it is where some important religious places are), subdue (bring under control).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.