Israel’s Capital – level 3
On December 6th, Trump broke decades of US foreign policy by recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, and by instructing his state department to move the US embassy from Tel Aviv to the Holy City.
The recognition has provoked anger across the globe and many people worry that Trump undermined the fragile peace process in the region.
Crowds angered by America’s decision chanted slogans in support of Palestinian claims over Jerusalem at the Damascus Gate, which is one of the main entrances to the Old City of Jerusalem. Israeli forces attempted to subdue the protesters.
Difficult words: Holy City (many people call Jerusalem the ‘Holy City’ as it is where some important religious places are), undermine (hurt), fragile (easily broken), chant (rhythmically say), claim (a right to something), subdue (bring under control).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos