Italy’s New Bridge – level 2
Two years ago, a bridge in Genoa, Italy, collapsed. 43 people died in the accident that shocked the world. Nobody could understand how such a disaster could happen in a developed country.
Builders demolished the old bridge, and they built a new bridge in the same place. A famous architect, Renzo Piano, designed the new bridge. Piano designed other buildings, such as the Centre Pompidous in Paris or the New York Times building in New York. The total cost of the project was more than €200 million.
Builders continued their work during the COVID-19 outbreak, which makes the bridge very special. Italy’s Prime Minister said that the new bridge was a symbol of unity and hope.
Difficult words: developed country (a country with a lot of industry and business and where people have more money than in some other countries), demolish (to destroy a thing such as a building), unity (when people or things work together without a conflict).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos