Japanese city wants more tourists – level 3
For more than a millennium, Kyoto was Japan’s capital, until the 19th century, when the title relocated to Tokyo.
Millions of tourists admired Kyoto’s ancient shrines, temples, gardens, and famous foods. However, the ancient city’s residents were weary of so many foreign tourists who crowded the streets and often ignored etiquette.
Two years ago, Japan closed its doors to overseas visitors, and the absence of tourists devastated Kyoto. It was already struggling to overcome a financial crisis. In 2019, the population of Kyoto was 1.45 million, and more than 50 million visitors brought in a huge amount of income.
Now, Kyoto is longing for more tourists and for the money that they brought. Hotel owners say that business is 10% to 30% of normal from before the pandemic.
Difficult words: weary (very tired), etiquette (the rules or customs of polite behavior in society), long for (to want something very much).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos