Japanese Emperor – level 2
The Japanese Emperor Akihito has been on the throne since his father’s death in 1989. He is now more than 80 years old.
In a televised address, he says that he feels various constraints, such as in physical fitness. He said that he wishes to abdicate. He would be the first Japanese emperor to abdicate.
Most Japanese people understand his wish, but legal changes would need to be made to make his abdication possible. The Japanese Prime Minister quickly reacted to the news and said that the government would see what it could do.
Difficult words: address (a speech), various (of different types), constraint (a limitation), abdicate (resign, retire, step down).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos