Japanese people and alcohol – level 3
To attract Gen Z, Japanese liquor businesses have turned to non-alcoholic beverages.
In Tokyo, the newly opened Sumadori Bar offers mocktails or cocktails with low alcohol levels to 3%. The Japanese giant Asahi Group manages the bar, and it aims to provide an environment where both drinkers and teetotalers can enjoy a drink together.
The popularity of low and non-alcoholic beverages has risen worldwide, particularly during the health crisis, as many people became more health conscious.
Drinking patterns in Japan have changed, and the older generation tends to drink less alcohol. The culture used to be that when a company hired a person, he or she drank with senior colleagues. However, fewer opportunities exist now, and often, it’s not even possible.
Over the summer, Japan’s tax office launched a contest to ask for ideas on how to stimulate the young people’s demand for alcohol; however, Gen Z seems to prefer non-alcoholic options.
Difficult words: Gen Z (people born between the late 1990s and the early 2010s), teetotaler (a person who doesn’t drink alcohol), stimulate (to encourage).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos