Japanese princess will get married – level 3
Authorities in Japan said that Princess Mako will marry her former college classmate on October 26, following years of intense scrutiny and criticism that put their engagement in an unflattering light.
The 29-year-old niece of Emperor Naruhito was engaged to Kei Komuro in 2017. The couple initially captivated the public; however, media reports soon talked about a financial dispute over a 35,000-dollar debt that Komuro’s mother allegedly received from her former fiancé, some of which went towards paying Komuro’s college fees. Komuro said that the money was given as a gift; however, the regular media started to pay attention to the royal family scandal, too.
In 2018, the marriage was postponed, and Komuro left to attend a law school in the US. He returned only last week, with a ponytail that set off discussion about whether he was being disrespectful.
Princess Mako will leave the royal family upon her marriage as is custom, and she will become a commoner. None of the ceremonies that usually happen with a royal marriage will take place.
Difficult words: scrutiny (a critical and detailed observation or examination), captivate (to attract and hold the interest and attention), commoner (one of the ordinary or common people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos