Japanese volcano erupts – level 2
The Japanese volcano Mount Ontake erupted last Saturday. People found twelve dead bodies, and 36 more people are probably dead. At least 69 people were injured, 30 of them seriously.
A group of people were hiking on the mountain when it erupted. They noticed a huge cloud of ash above them at 11:45 local time. They ran away from it, and they found a little house. They hid there and later made it down safely.
Difficult words: huge (very big), ash (grey matter which is left after something burns).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos