Jordan Ends a Law – level 3
In Jordan, a law called Article 308 allowed rapists to marry their victims as a way to avoid punishment, and the Ministry of Justice said that 159 rapists took advantage of the legal loophole from 2010 to 2013. A woman from the Supreme Council for Jordanian Women Forum asked how could a woman be forced to live with her rapist, pointing out that a rapist takes away the woman’s honour, dignity and life.
Some lawmakers argued that victims needed the law to avoid social stigma, but the politicians in the lower house decided to get rid of all the loopholes. Now the politicians in the upper house, as well as Jordan’s king, need to ratify the decision.
Difficult words: legal loophole (a way to avoid being in trouble without breaking a law), dignity (respect), social stigma (when people look down on you for something that happened to you), lower house (part of Jordan’s government), upper house (part of the rest of the government), ratify (make something official by signing it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos