Joseph Lowery Dies – level 2
Civil rights leader Joseph Lowery died last Friday at age 98. He was a friend to Martin Luther King, Jr., and he also led a civil rights religious group that protests peacefully for civil rights for African Americans. Its first president was Martin Luther King, Jr.
Lowery fought for civil rights and lived to see the US’s first African American president, Barack Obama. He gave a prayer at Obama’s inauguration. He said that he hoped that all people of all races could be happy. Obama said that Lowery was from Jim Crow Alabama, and he was an original and important civil rights leader.
Difficult words: civil rights (the basic rights a person has to live), inauguration (a formal meeting at the start of a job), Jim Crow (a name for laws that treated African Americans less than white Americans from the 1870s to the 1960s).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos