Journey to Mecca – level 3
In Mecca, the annual Hajj pilgrimage has begun under dramatically different circumstances this year.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the event has been limited to a maximum of 10,000 people; however, the usual attendance number is more than 2 million. For the first time in Saudi history, the Hajj will not be open to pilgrims from outside the country. The pilgrimage is meant to cleanse the soul, and it is one of the Five Pillars of Islam or the most important laws of Islam. All able-bodied Muslims are required to perform it at least once in their lifetime.
Saudi Arabia has introduced strict measures to stop the spread of the virus, including a ban on overseas visitors, wearing face masks in public, and social distancing.
Difficult words: pilgrimage (a long religious journey), pilgrim (a person who makes a religious journey), able-bodied (fit and healthy).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos