Julian Assange gets married in prison – level 3
In London, UK, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange married his long-term partner Stella Moris at a high-security prison.
The couple began a relationship in 2015, and they have two children together, who both attended the wedding ceremony, along with Mr Assange’s father and brother.
Last year, authorities gave the couple permission to marry; however, only six guests were allowed at the ceremony. A crowd of supporters greeted Moris when she arrived. The 38-year-old lawyer wore a wedding dress by Vivienne Westwood, who’s worked to stop the extradition of Assange.
Assange is in prison while US authorities try to extradite him to trial on espionage charges. They want him because of the release of thousands of classified documents on the Afghanistan and Iraq wars; however, he denies anything wrong.
Difficult words: extradition, extradite (making or to make someone return for trial to another country or state), espionage (spying on someone to get political or military information), classified (officially secret).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos