Killer Whales in Tokyo Bay- level 2
In Japan, ships near Tokyo Bay had to move carefully because killer whales swam through the area. People want to be careful because ships collided with whales and other animals in the bay. It is rare to see killer whales in this area.
The killer whale is also called the orca whale, and it lives in all oceans, including the freezing Arctic and Antarctic and the tropical seas.
They are hard to count because there are so many of them, but the estimate is that there are 50,000 in the world.
Difficult words: collide (to crash into), rare (something that does not happen often), estimate (a guess which somebody makes about the number of something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like killer whales?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.