Knife Attacks in Britain – level 3
Britain’s first March weekend was marked by more knife crimes after two teenagers were killed. One of them was 17-year-old Jodie, who was stabbed to death in a park near her home in East London.
Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, said that it was a tragic, senseless loss of life.
The former police commissioner said that there has been a 93% rise in the number of young people (younger than 18) who have been stabbed over the last five years – that is almost double.
He thinks that one of the reasons for the violence is a high supply of cocaine which makes it cheap. The second obvious reason is that there are too many people carrying knives, and the third is that there are too many young men who do not care about the consequences of carrying a knife. In the country’s capital alone, there have been 20 murders so far this year, including five in just a week.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.