Koreas Connect a Little – level 3
The officials of North and South Korea participated in a ceremony to connect the countries’ roads and railways. Two trains started from either side of the peninsula and met up at the border.
The event was mostly symbolic, but it is another move toward peace. It is not likely much more will happen while North Korea is under international sanctions over its nuclear programme.
South Korea had to get an exemption from the UN just to hold the ceremony. Still, South Korea believes that the move shows that both countries are willing to cooperate for rail and roadway modernisation in the future.
South Korea’s Unification Ministry said the construction will move forward ‘while observing North Korea’s denuclearisation progress and international sanctions against North Korea.
Difficult words: peninsula (a piece of land almost surrounded by water), exemption (an exception, a special change), be willing to do something (when you are willing to do something, you are not very happy about doing it but you do it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos