La Palma disaster – level 1
A volcano erupts on the island of La Palma. La Palma is a part of Spain´s Canary Islands. More than 85,000 people live there. The volcano erupts on September 19. Hot rocks and stones come out from the volcano. Lava destroys hundreds of houses.
Only one house stays in place. It looks like an island in a river of lava. A Spanish photographer takes a picture of it. This picture becomes a symbol of the situation.
6,000 people must leave their homes. It is not safe to stay there. Lava breaks roads. Authorities close the airport.
Some farmers worry. They grow bananas and grapes. They are afraid that lava will destroy their business.
Difficult words: volcano (a mountain that has lava inside it), erupt (to explode), lava (a hot rock which comes out from a volcano, and it looks like an orange river), symbol (something that makes many people think of the same thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.