Lake in the Czech Republic – level 2
The Lipno Dam is located in the south of the Czech Republic, and people transformed it into an amazing icy track. Local firefighters and volunteers maintain it. Some 10,000 people have already visited nature’s gift.
The head firefighter of a town at the lake was interviewed. He said that the idea came from the people who wanted to make the area more interesting for tourists. The frozen lake is surrounded by the Šumava Mountains. It is the perfect place for skating for tourists from Prague, who normally visit the lake in spring or summer.
Difficult words: dam (a wall which holds water to make a lake), volunteer (a person who does something without being paid), maintain (to keep something in good condition).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.