Lava in Hawaii – level 2
Lava which began to flow from a Hawaiian volcano on June 27th is coming close to a village. People are getting ready to evacuate their homes.
The lava flow is moving at about 10-15 yards per hour (9-14 metres per hour). Its edge is about 40 metres wide and it can destroy homes in its path.
This volcano has been erupting since 1983. Most lava from this eruption flowed south, but it flowed to the northeast in the past two years.
Difficult words: flow (move), evacuate (leave quickly because of danger), path (way).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are there any volcanos where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos