Lava in Hawaii – level 3
Lava is bursting out of Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano. Two fissures have merged and created a flow of lava that flowed at up to 274 metres per hour.
The lava is destroying buildings and nearly 2,000 people have been forced to evacuate. The lava flow is approaching a major coastal highway, so there may be a need for further evacuation.
Among the natural destruction, beauty can be found. The lava eruptions lit up the night sky and turned it red.
Difficult words: burst (let out with a lot of force), fissure (an opening, a crack, a hole), merge (become one).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos