Law Change in South Korea – level 3
After 66 years of being in place, the Constitutional Court of Korea ruled that South Korea’s anti-abortion law was unconstitutional. It said that the law is ‘an unconstitutional restriction that violates a pregnant woman’s right to choose’.
The court reviewed the law after a doctor challenged the ban, as he had been convicted of performing nearly 70 abortions from 2013 to 2015. Exceptions to the law have only been in life-threatening pregnancies, rape or incest. Doctors who perform abortions can face prison for up to two years, and the women get a fine of more than $1,700 and a year in prison, too.
The ruling is making way for South Korea to make abortions legal, although the parliament now has until the end of 2020 to revise the law.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.