Lion Tug of War – level 3
People criticised a zoo in England for selling visitors a chance to take part in a game of tug of war with its tigers and lions.
A keeper from the zoo said that workers saw other zoos doing it online, and they decided to try it out from themselves. He says that it is an exercise for the animals, and he believes that it is educational for people too – when people participate, they can truly understand how big and strong these big cats are.
On the other hand, animal rights groups are worried that the activity is just a spectacle and is not natural for the animals. According to Director of LionAid, Dr Pieter, zoos exist to provide conservation and education, and if a zoo cannot provide that, it should not be in the business.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.