Little water in the Amazon River – level 1
The Amazon River in Brazil is very low. It does not rain enough in the area.
This is making life hard for people and nature. Small rivers that go into the Amazon River are also drying up. Boats cannot move. People from faraway villages do not have enough food and water. Boats cannot get there. Dolphins in the river are also dying because it is too hot. In the city of Manaus, there was only 13.59 meters of water. It is two meters less than last year. It is the lowest in 100 years.
The reason for this is a weather problem called El Nino. It brings unusual weather. Experts think that this will last until December. More than 481,000 people are in trouble.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact have the drought and low water levels of the Amazon River had on the dolphins?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.