Llamas and the coronavirus – level 1
Belgian scientists take a protein from a llama. It is possible that the protein will help fight against COVID-19.
Llamas have different proteins from people. The proteins are simpler. Scientists can work with them more easily. They build them like building blocks.
Scientists are testing this method. Scientists think that this method will work for the delta variant of the COVID-19 virus. A variant is another version of the virus. The delta variant is more dangerous than the other variants.
This method is good for people who do not have a strong immune system. A strong immune system helps you fight a disease.
Difficult words: llama (an animal that comes from South America), protein (a part of all living organisms, especially in the muscles or hair), building block (a wooden or plastic toy brick which children play with, and they put one on another), method (how people do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.