London’s Muslim Mayor – level 3
The moment Sadiq Khan steps forward for his first speech as elected Mayor of London.
“Thank you, London. London is the greatest city in the world.”
With a 13.6% margin, he’s a popular winner, but not with fellow candidate Paul Golding. The far-right campaigner and leader of the group Britain First was seen turning his back to Khan as he began to give his speech.
Son of a London bus driver, the former human rights lawyer is the first Muslim to hold the position of London Mayor – a fact that many believe the former BNP councillor wished to protest against, his own CV including a past membership to the neo-Nazi-linked National Front. However, coming in eighth in the contest and polling just over 1% of the vote it’s safe to say London turned its back on Paul Golding before he turned his.
Difficult words: margin (an amount by which something is won), former (ex-), BNP (British National Party), poll (to receive a specified number of votes).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos