Long wave in China – level 3
Thousands of people lined the banks of the Qiantang River in China on Monday to watch the world famous tidal bore.
Locals and tourists gathered along the banks of the river in the cities of Haining and Hangzhou early in the morning to witness the amazing phenomenon, with some staying until late at night.
Coinciding with China’s traditional Mid-Autumn Festival, the “one-line tide”, which is a special form of tidal bore that rolls forward at the same speed to form a straight line, travelled up the river.
The phenomenon usually starts at the beginning of the eighth lunar month and reaches its peak on the 18th day, three days after the Mid-Autumn Festival.
The natural wonder also attracts many surfers looking to challenge themselves by riding the waves of the tidal bore up the river.
Difficult words: tidal (relating to a tide which the rising and falling of the sea), bore (wave caused by the meeting of two tides), phenomenon (something which happens in the nature), coincide (happen at the same time as something else).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos