Longest Cross-Sea Bridge – level 3
The construction of the world’s longest cross-sea bridge finished and it opened last Tuesday. The Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macao Bridge is 55 kilometres long, and it reduces travel time from 4 hours to just 45 minutes.
People originally scheduled the launch for 2016, but the bridge was beset by a variety of problems.
Many Hong Kong activists see the project as a political statement. Hong Kong politician Claudia Mo said that Hong Kong is already connected to mainland China in every way (land, air and sea). Yet China, she claimed, needed the bridge as a political symbol to remind Hongkongers that they are connected to the motherland.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.