Love Fridge – level 2
In 2012, community fridges started in Germany, and the idea quickly moved to other countries, too.
A community fridge is in a public space, and people can take food from the fridge if they need it. Also, people can bring food and leave it in the fridge. Some people started to call these fridges love fridges because they brought people together. They showed that many people wanted to help each other.
Last year, around 35 million Americans had problems getting enough food. In 2019, an interesting fact was Americans threw away 35% of all their food. It showed that the problem was not a lack of food, but the problem was in communities where people who needed the food most could not get it.
Difficult words: community (a group of people who live in the same place or who have the same ideas), public (open to or shared by all the people of an area or country), lack (not enough of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos