Lunar New Year – level 2
It is Lunar New Year. In China, thousands of people are celebrating. People are re-enacting historical ceremonies, and families are coming together and having parties. People also burn joss sticks to bring them good luck.
In North Korea, people celebrated by putting flowers at the statues of their leaders. North Korea did not have this holiday in the past. Now it does, but people must give respect to their leaders.
In Singapore, people celebrated with many fireworks.
Difficult words: Lunar New Year (the new year based on the moon; people celebrate it in many Asian countries and cultures), re-enact (tell a story over again), joss sticks (sticks which smell when you burn them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.