Madonna’s Birthday – level 3
American entertainer Madonna was born on 16th August, 1958 in Bay City, Michigan, meaning that she celebrated her 60th birthday last week.
Her career in the music industry started at the age of 17 when she dropped out of college, left home and moved to New York. There she performed in several underground bands, but she later signed a contract with record label Sire Records in 1982.
This marked the beginning of her 40-year career, producing hits such as ‘Like a Virgin’, ‘Papa Don’t Preach’, ‘Vogue’ and ‘Ray of Light’. During her ongoing career, she sold over 300 million records and is the most successful female solo artist of all time.
Madonna married twice to Hollywood actor Sean Penn and director Guy Ritchie. She has six children, four of them that she adopted from Malawi.
Difficult words: contract (a deal, a plan to work together), record label or record company (a company which sells an artist’s music).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos