Malaysian Prime Minister – level 2
On Monday, the prime minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamed, resigned, and now the country does not have a main government leader.
It is not clear who can be the next prime minister, so the Malaysian monarch asked Mahathir to be interim prime minister until a new one can take over.
Some people wonder if Mahathir is trying to make a new government without Anwar Ibrahim. People thought that he would be the next prime minister. Mahathir and his group also stopped working with Anwar’s group.
Difficult words: resign (to formally quit a job), monarch (a king or a queen of a country), interim (temporary).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos