Man above a river – level 2
A French tightrope walker crossed the Seine River. He walked on a 150 meter-long rope without a harness or safety net. However, some boats were close in case he fell into the water.
The acrobat said that he focused on positive energy. He thought positively and about not falling. He even covered his eyes in the middle of the rope and lay down on the rope for a while. The people who were watching loved it.
The man has been performing for 28 years. This was the second time he crossed the Seine River. No one else has ever done it.
Difficult words: harness (safety rope), focus (concentrate), energy (something you cannot see that makes things happen).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like acrobats?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.