Man biked up Taipei 101 – level 3
A Polish mountain biker has broken his own world record by cycling up 3,139 steps at the Taipei 101 tower. It took Kristian Herba 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete the challenge.
The 33-year-old teacher surpassed his previous record of last year when he climbed 2,919 steps up a tower in Melbourne. But he’s still waiting for confirmation of the new record by the Guinness World Record authorities.
Taipei 101 was formerly the tallest building in the world before the Burj Khalifa in Dubai took the title – it’s more than 500 meters taller.
Difficult words: surpass (to do better than), confirmation (the act of confirming something – officially saying that something is true), formerly (in the past).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.