Man cooks meat underground – level 3
Algerian restaurant owner Amer Halimi is proud of his specialty, a traditional dish of meat that’s slowly cooked underground.
The dish is called ‘Merdouma’ which means ‘buried’ in Arabic. Halimi buries the meat with stones heated by charcoal, and when the charcoal goes off, he cooks the meat for nearly 14 hours. Then, he serves it with a special sauce that makes the meat crunchy from the outside and juicy from the inside. Customers come from everywhere in the country to try the delicious dish.
According to Halimi, the dish is very old, and people used to cook it on stones. Over time, it developed, and he took the idea even further. He put a well inside in his restaurant.
Difficult words: specialty (a product, usually food, which a person or region is famous for), charcoal (a black material similar to coal), well (a deep hole in the ground with water).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos