Man eats iron nails – level 3
Meet Long Yunsheng, a man from China with a penchant for iron nails.
Apart from Long doesn’t collect the iron nails, he eats them. Yes, you heard correctly. Long easily swallows several nails with a length of three to five centimetres. Washing them down with a cup of water, Long stuns everyone around him, as he eats the nails with ease.
Long said he developed the unbelievable habit of swallowing nails after he learned it from others about 32 years ago.
“I was 17 or 18 years old. I was not sure that the man who can do this was willing to teach me. If the teacher likes you, he teaches you. If not, he refuses to teach you.”
Despite being able to add glass, ceramics and tiles to his weekly food shop list, Long is said to be in good health.
Difficult words: penchant (to like something a lot), swallow (make food go down your throat), stun (surprise or shock), tile (flat square piece of baked clay for covering walls and floors).
Are you a teacher? Download the exercises for your class here. They are for free. You can copy them and use them in your class.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.