Man in Ice – level 1
Last year, an Austrian extreme athlete sets a record. He spends almost 2 hours and 9 minutes in a box of ice.
This year, the same man breaks his own record. The new record is almost 2 hours and 31 minutes. The event happens in a small town in Austria. Organizers fill a big box with 440 pounds of ice. The man steps in the box. The man wears only swim trunks. The ice is up to the man’s shoulders.
The man is strong. He feels pain. However, he imagines nice things. It helps him fight the pain.
After the event, the man is happy. He enjoys the warm sun again.
Difficult words: extreme athlete (a person who does dangerous sports), record (the best performance or activity), organizer (the person who prepares an event).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos