Man in Ice – level 3
An Austrian extreme athlete broke his own world record by spending 2 hours, 30 minutes, and 57 seconds completely submerged in ice. The previous record for full-body contact with ice was 2 hours, 8 minutes, and 47 seconds.
Josef Koeberl managed to stay inside a custom-made box filled up to his shoulders with more than 440 pounds of ice. Koeberl stepped inside wearing nothing but swim trunks, and he said that he fought the pain by visualizing and drawing on positive emotions.
A small crowd of people watched the man at the town square of Melk, Austria. After being taken out of the ice box by helpers, he said that the sun felt really great on his back.
Difficult words: submerged (completely covered with something), visualize (to imagine), draw on (to access and use a helpful resource).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos