Man is hit by a train – level 3
Caught on camera: a cyclist colliding with a high-speed train in Poland.
The 26 year-old escaped with his life after he ignores the red light and closed barriers and rides directly onto the train tracks. At nearly 90 miles per hour (145 kilometres per hour), the force of the collision causes the young man and his bike to fly backwards, falling at the side of the tracks.
Lying on the ground, a driver who witnessed the accident rushes to see if he’s OK. According to Polish media, the cyclist was lucky and managed to avoid any serious injuries, coming away with just minor bruises.
Poland’s National Railway Company has released the footage as a lesson in how not to cross the tracks. It’s reported the man was later fined in court for ignoring the barrier, following the incident which happened in the southern Polish town of Opole on November 5th.
Difficult words: collide (to hit by accident when moving), rush (to hurry), minor (small), bruise (a purple or brown mark on your skin), fine (to make somebody pay money for something bad that he or she did).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.