Man is hit with a hammer – level 2
A twenty-year-old man moved into a flat. His new flatmate probably had no idea what was going to happen. He attacked him with a hammer.
The aggressor thought that he killed the man, and he called the police. The police soon arrived at their address and arrested him. They sentenced him to 14 years.
They found the victim unconscious with a serious head injury. They treated him at the scene and then moved him to hospital. There he underwent emergency surgery.
Difficult words: flatmate (somebody who shares a flat with somebody), victim (somebody who is attacked), unconscious (not awake).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.