Man kills a lion – level 1
An American comes to Zimbabwe. He shoots a lion. The lion’s name is Cecil. He is famous. He is like a celebrity.
People can shoot animals in Zimbabwe, but this lion is protected. Killing the lion is illegal. The American is in trouble. He says that he is sorry. Two men help the American. They are in trouble, too.
Difficult words: famous (when many people know a person or an animal), celebrity (a famous person or animal), illegal (you must not do illegal things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what the man did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos