Man kills a lion – level 2
An American dentist came to Zimbabwe and shot a lion. The 13 year-old lion was collared. That means that he was under surveillance. His name was Cecil and he was a local celebrity.
Two people helped the American kill the animal. If they are convicted, they’ll have to pay $20,000 and they might go to prison. The dentist, who said that he was sorry for killing the animal, may face poaching charges.
Lions are not protected in Zimbabwe. Foreign hunters can buy a permit which lets them kill elephants, buffalos and lions. The killing of Cecil, however, was illegal.
Difficult words: surveillance (being watched), convict (to say officially that somebody is guilty of a crime), poach (to kill an animal illegally), charge (when the police say that you did something wrong).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about what the man did?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos