Man on a bridge – level 2
A man in Australia climbed up an arch of the Sydney Harbour Bridge to take a break. He was just calmly sitting about 75 metres above the Australian city.
He probably did not want to cause any trouble, but people closed three lanes of traffic and the traffic came to a standstill.
Just before 11 a.m. the man climbed back down, where police arrested him. People say that they took him to hospital for assessment. People reopened the lanes and traffic in the area returned to normal.
Difficult words: arch (a structure that carries the weight of a structure above it), standstill (stop), assessment (assessing somebody – checking him or her if he or she is fine).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.