Man stands on a dead whale – level 3
Oh look, a dead whale surrounded by sharks. Oh look, an idiot!
That’s 26-year-old Australian man Harrison who took it upon himself to dive into the ocean near Australia’s Rottnest Islands to board a dead and whale sort of ride it for a bit. Despite the heavy presence of sharks in the water, Harrison still decided to jump off his boat and clamber aboard the cetacean which luckily was too dead to put up much of a fuss.
Authorities considered fining the krill-seeker, sorry thrill-seeker, but decided not to as the whale was already dead, and he didn’t remove any of it. Harrison’s parents think he’s an idiot.
“Mom thinks I’m an idiot. Dad’s not too proud of me, you know…”
You’re mum’s right, Harrison. You are an idiot.
Difficult words: board (to get on something), sort of (in a way), despite (even though), presence (when something or someone is close to you), cetacean (mammal that lives in the sea), fuss (protest), authorities (people in position of power), fine (punish by making him pay money), krill (small animals which are eaten by whales).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.