Man stops a train – level 2
Here’s some news from England. A man jumped onto railway tracks. He stood there and swayed for a few minutes. Others talked to him but he did not move.
It was not long before a train approached. The man was difficult to see, as he wore dark clothing. The train driver slammed on the brakes. The train stopped just feet in front of the man.
Police sentenced the 21 year-old man to 16 weeks in prison.
Difficult words: sway (to move slowly from one side to another), slam on the brakes (make the vehicle stop suddenly), sentence (to punish somebody for a crime).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you do when you are drunk?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.