Man throws cake at Mona Lisa – level 3
A man disguised himself as an elderly woman in a wheelchair; then he threw cake at the Mona Lisa, Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting at the Louvre in Paris, France.
The man was wearing a wig and lipstick, and visitors also saw him throwing roses in the gallery. He ran up to the painting, and he started punching it before he smeared cake all over it. In the 1950s, the Renaissance painting had protective glass installed to protect it after an acid attack, so it wasn’t damaged. People described the incident as jaw-dropping, and the crowd panicked a little.
The man urged people to think of the Earth while the security led him away. Police detained him and sent him to a police psychiatric unit. An investigation started into the damage of cultural artifacts.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.