Man tries to steal in a bank – level 3
This surveillance footage shows an audacious thief being intercepted by armed police officers after he attempted to steal a woman’s money off a counter in a bank.
In Taizhou, east China, the bank’s surveillance cameras show the unemployed 27-year-old walking through the building on Sunday afternoon.
He can be seen lunging to grab the money from a woman, as she prepared to deposit it, before being tackled to the ground by two armed police officers who happened to be in the bank at the time.
Bystanders can be seen looking on in shock, as the man is wrestled to the floor.
The man, who was released from prison in July 2013 after serving a seven-month sentence for burglary, has been caught and the case is currently under investigation.
Difficult words: surveillance footage (security camera video), audacious (willing to take risks), lunge (move forward suddenly), grab (take quickly), deposit (put something in somewhere to keep it safe), burglary (the crime of stealing something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.