Man with a pig heart – level 1
David Bennet comes from Maryland, US. He is 57 years old. He is very ill. He needs a new heart. Sadly, he cannot get a heart from another person. Luckily, he can get a pig heart. The heart is genetically-modified.
Doctors in Maryland do the operation. The operation is seven hours long. It is dangerous. It is never successful in the past. It is the last chance for Bennet.
He survives the operation. He is doing well three days later. Doctors do not know how long he can live.
Such operations are not usual. Doctors need to get special permission. The permission means that a US official says that they can do the operation.
Difficult words: genetically-modified (when scientists change information inside a living thing or its body parts), operation (when doctors fix someone’s body), survive (to live after a dangerous or difficult situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.