Map of Milky Way – level 1
This news is about space. The European Space Agency launches a satellite. Its name is Gaia. It carries a very good camera. It takes pictures of our galaxy, the Milky Way.
The pictures turned into a 3D map. This takes time. There are 1 billion stars in the galaxy. We must wait for the pictures until the end of 2017.
Right now, we have pictures of 2 million stars. The ESA makes a video from this. The video starts in our solar system. It goes through the Milky Way. It ends 150 light years away.
Difficult words: launch (send in the air or in space), Gaia (the ancient Greek word for “Earth”), ESA (the European Space Agency).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos