Marathon in North Korea – level 2
North Korea held a marathon. It commemorated the birthday of its founder. North Korea opened the marathon to athletes from other countries for the first time.
A truck, which was playing patriotic music, followed the runners and thousands of people cheered. There were about 400 foreigners in the marathon. The number included amateurs from 15 different countries. The marathon was held so that both professionals and amateurs had a great time. They could form new friendships.
The men’s category was won by a North Korean. All the women who won a medal were North Korean.
Difficult words: commemorate (to do something to show that you remember and respect somebody important), founder (person who starts something), patriotic (music that is important and symbolic for the country), North Korean (person from North Korea).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever run a marathon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.