Marathon in North Korea – level 3
Runners in London weren’t the only ones taking part in a 26-mile challenge on Sunday, as North Koreans lined the streets of Pyongyang to cheer on participants of its own marathon.
Tens of thousands of supporters applauded, cheered and high-fived the runners, who were followed by a truck blasting out patriotic music.
The event was held to commemorate the birthday of its founder, Kim Il Sung, and was open to foreign athletes for the first time.
The country’s state-run television reported there was about 400 foreigners, including amateurs, from 15 different countries took part.
The marathon’s chairman said the run was held so that both professional and amateur runners would share a good experience and form new friendships.
The men’s category was won by a North Korean with a Rwandan man coming in second and an Ukrainian in third, whilst North Koreans swept all the medals in the women’s race.
Difficult words: blast out (to produce a lot of loud music), commemorate (to do something to show that you remember and respect somebody important), whilst (while).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.