Marijuana in the US – level 1
Marijuana is a drug. It comes from the hemp plant. People dry leaves and flowers from it. People then smoke it or eat it. The drug changes people’s minds.
In the US, the government controls how people sell and use marijuana. Marijuana is legal in eleven US states. An important moment is in the US government. Marijuana can be legal in all US states. However, the US government must say yes to the bill. Some politicians do not agree with the bill.
The bill can change some marijuana crimes. Judges will stop some marijuana cases. Marijuana crimes will not be in a person’s criminal record.
Difficult words: legal (possible by law), bill (an early version of a law), criminal record (a list of person’s crimes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos